WE ARE MOVING! WE ARE NO LONGER POSTING NEW CONTENT HERE. JOIN US AS WE TRANSITION THE BLOG TO OUR AMAZING WEBSITE- YOUR ONE-STOP FOR EVERYTHING! FIND US HERE!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Plus Size Summer Fashion

Plus size women often have trouble combining the latest fashion + body type + affordability + findability. The quick fix solution could be to lose a few pounds but that is easier said than done. Until the scale reveals the lighter side of things, love your curves and all the thick goodness you have to offer…but health is important so please work on being healthy.

I love my curves but large retail and discount stores don’t love my size. This past week I was shopping at Filene’s Basement and though they do carry my size, nothing was flattering. I noticed over a size 16 the pickings are slim or certain cuts and fabrics don’t look as good. Where can I find the “good” stuff?

I was combing the web and decided plus size women need to know what looks good on their body first before they find the retailers that sell for their body type. Here are a few tips from a Smarter.com fashion blog:

  1. Plus size women should look for cotton dresses that cinch under the chest because they accent the smaller part of the body. Steer clear of empire waist because they make plus size women look bigger.
  2. Plus size women tend to wear Bermuda shorts which are knee-length because they cover the fullest part of the thigh but for shorter women this is a no-no because it can make a short woman look bigger. Depending on your size, you can wear shorts but they have to fit your height and must cover the fullest part of your thigh.
  3. Become a fan of the scoop neck or v-neck t-shirts because they are more flattering on women with bigger bust. Also, avoid crew shirts because they make the chest look huge and must wear shirts with a relaxed fit on the arms.
Great tips and hopefully you can add to the plus size do’s & don’ts in the comment box. So now we know a few staples and must’s…where can we buy our summer wardrobe. Here is a list of sites to look at:

OneStopPlus.com (photo courtesy of the website) has a selection of amazing dresses like the one pictured on the left. I love fitted dresses because they make me look myself (especially with a good body shaper) and don't make me look blown out and out of proportion. This website is purely for plus size women 12W-44W.

This site offers more than just clothing but handbags, jewelry and accessories, bras, lingerie and much more. One can definitely find a shopping cart full of great looking dresses, tops, shorts, shoes and undergarment basics.


Full Figured Fashion Week voted Igigi.com the # 1 plus size fashion retailer. I have yet to purchase a dress from this site but I love most if not all the outfits and collections for plus size women. The dress pictured left ( photo courtesy of Igigi.com) is on my to buy list. This dress can be worn at a Sunday brunch, night out with the ladies or charity function. At $98.00, this dress is not pennies but is so fabulous, shows off a little curves, has summer appeal and is extremely classy.

I often look at this site and cannot wait to purchase my first dress...I am sure I will not be disappointed.


More sites listed blow. Look your best ladies!

Please add more sites in the comment box and do's & dont's for plus size fashion

Lane Bryant

Ashley Stewart

Fashion To Figure

Monif C

Sizes To Fit

Also, check out Full Figured Fashion Week in NYC coming up June 16-19th!

First photo with dress and mannequin courtesy of Fashiontofigure.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment